Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Am I in another country?


I wish I could let you hear the insane "Iraqish" noise that happens in Oakland on the 4th of July. It really begins in May and goes until September but it has it's climax on July 4th. I'm not sure where all these people get their fireworks--
which are quite professional.
We're not talking sparklers here.
I would guess that at least every other house has something to send off into the air, blow up on the ground or shoot..Hopefully not AT someone.
Seems like people should be licensed for this stuff. And it is illegal of course but that never stops anyone.

Then, July 5th I took my dogs out for their morning walk and as I climbed to the top of a hill I spied out of the corner of my eye, a red fox. He saw us first obviously and began to run down the hill into the canyon away from us. I imediately looked for my dog Gabe. She sat and just watched him go. I couldn't believe she didn't chase him. Maybe it was a "I know your not a domestic animal" thing. So strange because Gabe will always chase.
Anyway. We watched that fox for awhile--Gabe and I. While the other 3 dogs sniffed around and ate goat poop. Completely unaware. He ran on a trail stopping every 30 feet or so to look back at us.
I like that kind of dichotomy about Oakland.

No comments: