Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Blue Herons

Our beautiful Blue Heron's are back!

We get so excited when we see them. It means Spring is on the way. Here's a picture of one of the two sitting on our neighbors roof. This morning both of them were sitting in our other neighbors trees-one Heron in the pine tree and one in the Acacia tree. A very angry hummingbird was buzzing around the one Heron in the pine tree. I love how there is so much diversity in mammals. One bird can be so big and another so small. It was like watching a chihuahua annoyed with a great dane.

These birds are HUGE. They stand more than 3 feet high and their wing span is more than 5 feet.I'm hoping someday to find their nest so I can watch the chicks when they hatch.

When Kimm and I were camping in Monterey last year we saw several pairs of Blue Herons nesting with chicks in some pine trees. When the neighbors saw us screech our car to a halt and jump out with binoculars they told us that the Herons come back every year to nest. These people get to watch it from their living rooms. Must be nice.

2 comments:

bopper pye said...

hey my dear stoner friend, you have my sleep deprived ex stoner husband and i feeling confused over here, but we are pretty sure that birds are not mammals.
see, i read your blog!!!

kim said...

See....I'm testing you!