Saturday, September 01, 2007

I AM NOT FROM UTAH


Sometimes my friends do this thing that they know really DRIVES MY SHIT CRAZY!!!
They'll insist that I was raised in Utah.
As many of you know----who were raised with me---IN CALIFORNIA! (Give a shout out Unca J!)
I AM NOT FROM UTAH!!!
Many years ago after I moved to SF from Santa Cruz, I began to play with a band called Yusakuta. Not long after meeting my new band mates I let drop that I attended THE 'Y for 3 horrifying years. (Although the friends I've kept from that time are some of the most AMAZING people I've ever met.)
Ever since then they've tortured me with the 'Utah native' bullshit.
'Oh yeah, you're from Utah right?'
Oh well, most of them are from Delaware so what can you expect.

7 comments:

Jan VanStavern said...

You are so Californian. Avocados grow out of your ears--

plus, I just saw Utah underwear on Angels in America. That would do NOTHING for you, honey. Too, Mormon. J

Uncle Jesse said...

i can testify to kim's californianess! i seen it with my own eyes.

bopper pye said...

i can't believe you are dissing
DELAWARE

Cassie said...

It's okay, don't be ashamed Miss Utah. We'll still like you. And btw, I'm from Maryland - whoohoo!

JT said...

I'm so glad you went to Utah, Kim. Otherwise, I wouldn't know (Unca J) now. You were part of making BYU as interesting as it was for me.

tina said...

I can relate – I moved here from Utah, but I didn't grow up there and have never identified myself as being "from" there. All the same, plenty of folks I've met here think of me as "the Mormon from Utah," want to know how many wives my dad has, etc. Mormonism seems to be considered kind of exotic ... No point in trying to explain the reality. I just smile.

tina said...

P.S. Sending good thought for Gabe ... brave little doggie-woman!