Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm Back

It's been a month since I was last here.

Kimm and I needed a mental health break so we went to my mom's in Redding. This picture was taken in the park. They have a lot of nice art in that park. Pretty good step up for Redding.




My neighbor is doing exceptionally well. Or so it is on the outside. They have one of the perpetrators in custody. Hopefully he'll rat out the other one--but probably only for a plea deal. They are going to charge him with, among other things, attempted murder. We're really happy about that.




So much has happened in a month I'm not sure where to begin....




*Had my first mammogram and was called back for more pictures. Which lead to a surgical biopsy. Luckily I am non-cancerous! The upside of all that was that it took my mind off my neighbor/hood's problems for awhile. Although I have to say--biopsy's hurt. I still have a painful and bruised boob.




*Had a really nice time in Redding. Although it was 115 degrees. We drove up there the day after my biopsy. Half way up I got the call from my doctor that I was all clear. That made for a really nice visit. Got to see our good friends C and S. As well as spend a lot of good time with my mom.




*Kimm put up a beautiful gate in the front yard closing off our yard entirely to anyone on the street.




*We've nearly finished our new front steps.




*Kimm rounded up four used double pane wooden windows in perfect shape at our awesome reuse store here in Oakland. All four for $60. (If anyone knows how much wooden double pane windows cost you are shitting your pants right now--I know we are)! Three of them will be for the cottage in the back yard and one for our bathroom.




*We're close to finishing our new fireplace hearth. Now we just need to do some tiling which we'll do after we buy and install a fireplace insert. We've never had any source of heat during our temperate Bay Area winters. But it would be nice to have something instead of wearing sweaters and coats every night as we watch TV.




It's good to have projects when you're in fear mode. Keeps your mind busy. We've done more work just recently on the house then we've done in the past 7 years. I'll be posting pictures of all the work in the next few posts.




*Kimm officiated at our good friends N and M's wedding last week-- It was a stellar performance and a wonderful wedding!




*And maybe most importantly, Kimm and I have decided to get married in September. Since we're short on cash we're going to wait on having a reception until after the holidays. Maybe not even until next spring. But we know we've got to get married before November. We've heard that even if they pass the state amendment against gay marriage that it might be very difficult to annul any of the marriages performed between May and Nov 08'. So we're kind of in a hurry.




And lastly.....who else saw Barak's acceptance speech last night at the Dem. Nat. Con?


Kind of inspiring? Hell Yeah!


GO BARAK!!!!!!!!








2 comments:

Uncle Jesse said...

wow, what park in redding is that sculpture at?
glad you're ok, kim! gobama!

Cassie said...

Soooo glad everything's okay! Sounds like things are coming together for all.

Post some pics of the house and don't forget to invite me to the wedding reception!!
xoxo,C