Thursday, May 03, 2007

Dream Come True...I'm Pretty Sure

Check it!
I got hired on with the Park Service!!!
I know...many of you will say...'but Kim I thought you were the consummate Handy Woman?'
No that is NOT me but my girlfriend. The other Kimm.
For most of my life I've wanted to be a ranger. Don't laugh.
I've wanted to work for the park service since I can remember. ANY PARK SERVICE...ANYWHERE! I know it may be hard to believe....but some people want to be Doctors and swill around in peoples' fluids--that seems weird to me.
A couple of weeks ago I went to the Park website. This was something I did nearly once a month or more. Just to see what they were hiring for.
They were accepting applications for a rangers and I decided on a whim to apply. A couple of weeks after I dropped of my application they called and wanted me to come in for an interview with the folks who run the parks rental facilities! It's only a 20 hour a week temporary job and I'll have to work weekends all through the spring and summer. But it pays even better than the ranger job! And I'm so happy to do it to get my foot in the door with the park service. Basically I'll be doing landscaping, light building maintenance and running weddings. This was something I have been on the other side of when I was catering for so many years. This was SO the job I wanted to have when I was catering.
I'm so excited!
This is actually a job I can RETIRE with!
Let's hope I feel this way next weekend after I've been working there for a few days.
I'm pretty sure I'll love it though.

6 comments:

Uncle Jesse said...

that's great kim! be sure and post some photos of you in your park ranger outfit. i do love a gal in uniform!

JT said...

Kim, that is so fantastic! i'd like to hear more about your job interview--I think I need some tips. I'm very, very happy for you. Wow, dreams really do come true!

Cassie said...

That sounds like the perfect job for you! Congrats! Can you book the Brazil Room for free now?!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Kim, that's so great! I think I need to paint you in your uniform. Please send some phots.

Jan VanStavern said...

Kim: You are such a ranger. I can't wait for the cartoon special and the behind the scenes zine (wait, this is that already, right?). Congratulations.

Your yard is so beautiful and you love walking the dogs in the hills--it's a perfect thing for you, plus you'll look smashing in the outfit.

We got married at the Brazil Room, and I wish you had been there to tell us not to throw birdseed or whatever--

You rock--
Jan

tina said...

I wish you could have seen the ranger who led my group on our hike into this deep canyon in Mesa Verde -- funny, knowledgeable, in incredible shape, and in her early 60's, totally HOTT! I actually took a picture of her just to inspire myself. But now I don't need it -- because now there is you, Kim the Park Ranger! Seriously, what a great gig. I predict you're going to love it! Can't wait to hear more as you start settling in. (P.S. Let me know if they need a semi-skilled, formerly-sedentary graphic designer type -- I'd be all over that.)